Wednesday, May 20, 2009

May 17. Norway's Independence Day

May 17th is Norway's Independence Day...

We had a great time this year!

We start by meeting up at school & then all of the school kids march in the town parade...





We marched in the local parade & then went to my Uncles house for brunch before taking his sailboat into town for the BIGGER parade...






I spent most of the afternoon trying to collect as many RUSS CARDS as possible...








RUSS are kids about to finish school they are 18-19 years old & are going to go to the University.... (it is the same as being a Senior in American High School) On the first of May the RUSS will start wearing overalls decorated with a lot of different things that are important to them... they also have cards that they pass out to us younger kids.
This is what a Russ looks like.
















This is my sister running away from a Russ...
Tomorrow is my 10th birthday.. Mom & dad have a surprise for me & were are going on a picnic..
I will write & tell you how my birthday is.

18 comments:

  1. Mom sent us over to wish you a Happy Birthday!!! Even tho you have not posted about it, Happy 10th! Hope it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY bIRTHDAY DANE, wE WILL BE THINKING OF YOU ALL DAY! HAVE A GREAT DAY..XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday from Grant County, in Eastern Oregon! I hope it's a great day..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dane! I am so amazed with your blog - Your English is unbelievable...I wouldn't even guess that it is your second written language!

    I hope you have a fabulous Birthday today!!! Enjoy yourself!!!

    Can't wait to see you guys the next time you come down to Florida!!!

    Love, Kelly XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday... came over from your MOM's blog. and I never knew that about RUSS... that's interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Norwegian Independence day! The Russ cards sound pretty interesting. How many did you get? Looks like quite a bunch.

    I'm wishing you a wonderful birthday from the boondocks of Arizona (on the US/Mexico border)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Dane!

    Blogging Mama Andrea in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  8. i got like 80 cards this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Dane! Hope you and your fam are having fun riding the rollercoasters today. I miss you tons and can't wait to see you!! xoxo love, Aunt Ali

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy happy Birthday from Nashville, Tennessee, Dane!

    My blog has some pretty interesting pictures of Nashville that you might enjoy seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very Happy Birthday to you from the sunny Jersey Shore :)
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hope you have a wonderful birthday! from Phoenix, Arizona, USA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gratulerer med dagen! I hope you have a great birthday! Your friend in cyberspace from the UAE- Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dane, I am from Canada and my God Daughter lives in Holland so I know how tough it can be to maintain two languages! You are doing a great job. I like your blog. Good topics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A belated very happy birthday Dane! And thank you for sharing such lovely photos with us - the 17th May parade looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday and Happy Independence Day to you, Dane, from beautiful Maine (the US state in the upper right hand corner of the map!). We're known as Vacationland, and have miles and miles of rocky coastland (and some of the coldest ocean temperatures and yummiest lobsters!)

    ReplyDelete